Our Four Homes

Our Four Homes   Standard Rooms   Junior Suites
Large Suites   Grand Suites

Oh, if these walls could speak! The tales that would be told, the business deals that were struck and the community—lo, our great country—that was built by their many owners, guests and inhabitants. Truly, the Bird-in-Hand Village Inn & Suites is the perfect setting for an inspirational getaway, a special occasion or a small retreat.


1734 Inn

  • The main reception and check-in area
  • 11 well-appointed rooms and suites, all non-smoking
  • An inviting sun porch for relaxed reading and conversation

It’s said that this is the inn along the Colonial byway connecting Philadelphia and Lancaster that gave birth to the village’s memorable Bird-in-Hand name. The first inn built on this site—a long, one-and-a-half story log structure—was all but destroyed by fire in 1851. Within a year the popular road stop reopened as a stately, three-story hotel. The thick walls of the original inn’s southeast bar room survived to become a part of today’s Margaret Bitzer Suite. Likewise, the cellar walls supporting the oldest section of the 1734 Inn date back to the original hotel. In all, this Victorian treasure may be the fourth to stand on the original stone foundation.


Ressler House

  • Six suites, all non-smoking
  • A breakfast room with continental plus breakfast and evening snack service
  • A sitting room that’s perfect for small meetings

For almost 90 years this was the home of Bird-in-Hand’s village doctor. The last doctor to practice here—from 1902 to 1944—was Dr. J. Lyle Ressler. Set on the south side of Old Philadelphia Pike across from the 1734 Inn and check-in, Ressler House was restored and renovated in 2003.


Desmond House

  • Three suites, including two with a loft
  • All non-smoking

The Desmond House is a beautiful example of the early 19th century architecture found in the Village of Bird-in-Hand. Located on the south side of Old Philadelphia Pike, opposite the 1734 Inn where you'll register, Desmond House was restored and renovated in 2003. Brimming with Victorian charm and 21st century amenities, it features a beautiful, two-story entryway in the rear.


Carriage House

The Carriage House sits on the south side of Old Philadelphia Pike behind the Desmond and Ressler Houses. With Amish farmland out its back door, this building was originally a small barn. It was transformed in 2003 into this perfect setting for extended stay suites.

Join Our Mailing List

Become a VIP Guest

Arrival Date
Nights Arrow Arrow
Departure Date
Reset Dates
Error Message
Promo Code
Join Our Mailing List
Become a VIP Guest

The exterior of this three-story,

five bay façade, with turned Tuscan Order Columns and fretwork railings, is very unusual.

Historic Preservation Trust of Lancaster County, 1983 survey